LAWLS Bookstore

Tuesday, September 06, 2011

Farmer's Market Tomatoes

Oh My Goodness!  Look at the goodness in these vine-ripe tomatoes from the Farmer's Market. For me nothing screams late summer better or louder than a warm freshly picked tomato. And they are so delicious and so good for us! I have heard tomatoes called the culinary equivalent of the Little Black Dress because they are perfect just as they are yet so willing to get all dressed up and fancy!

Some of you have noticed the frequency with which tomatoes show up in my recipes. Not forsaking my shear love of tomatoes they are very good for us and many weight loss surgery patients report a high tolerance for tomatoes in all their forms --fresh, canned, dried, and as a juice or sauce -- and include them in their diets accordingly. One cup of raw tomato provides 38 calories (it is mostly water), 2g dietary fiber, 2g protein, and 57% of your daily value of Vitamin C. Several studies suggest that the lycopene found in tomatoes is beneficial in helping prevent some forms of cancer.

Are you a tomato head like me? Then you will love this perfect recipe. I found it in The Oprah Magazine Cookbook:


on page 79. It was created by Celia Barbour and clearly she is my soulmate. I think with this recipe I'd even splurge on the bread and where I normally make open faced sandwiches I'd put my tomatoes worth between two slices and enjoy!

Tomato Sandwich
by Celia Barbour

"A perfectly ripe tomato is the most important ingredient here. It should be summer-time juicy and grown close by; otherwise there's not much point to the sandwich!

Ingredients:
1 ripe tomato
2 slices bread, preferably white farm or peasant
1 tablespoon mayonnaise
salt and pepper (optional)

Directions:
Slice the tomato thickly -- about as thick as a slice of bread. Spread the bread with mayonnaise. Place the tomato on one slice. Sprinkle wiht salt and a little pepper, if you like. Top with the other slice of bread. Cut the sandwich in half. Go outside.

Makes 1 sandwich.
Another favorite tomato recipe:

Mozzarella Tomato Boats

This is a little recipe I "invented" last summer, although I’m confident it’s been done before. It’s simple: stuff cored plum tomatoes with mozzarella, olive oil & basil and grill until the cheese melts. Delicious! Plan two tomatoes per person.

Link to Recipe

No comments: