LAWLS Bookstore

Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Water & Dehydration


Hey Guys -- This thread from the Neighborhood is darn near older than the Neighborhood! But it is still pertinent to us. As we know, WATER WATER WATER is rule #2.

Perhaps you know that two weekends ago I suffered a severe case of food poisoning, so severe that I couldn't even keep water or tea down. Not one swallow. Well, Jim was out of town and by the time he got home Monday night (I had been sick since Friday) I was extremely ill from the initial food poisoning and then the dehydration that followed. So the first lesson I learned, go get help even if husband isn't home! (LOL - I can be as stubborn as a man when it comes to seeing the doctor!) Next, try anything to get the fluids down. Dehydration can be deadly.

Health care workers use this solution for ORT - Oral Rehydration Therapy. The solution is taken by mouth to treat dehydration caused by diarrhea. Combine 1/2c boiling water, 4tsp sugar and 1/2tsp salt. Dissolve and cool before taking. The sugar may cause you to panic because we know it may cause dumping syndrome. But from my experience the dehydration was a greater immediate concern than dumping. And as always (disclaimer) it is important to seek the advice of your qualified health care professional!

Join the conversation in the Neighborhood

No comments: