LAWLS Bookstore

Thursday, April 26, 2007

What's in a Name?

Yesterday I was doing a media interview about life after WLS and the reporter asked me, "What should I call this surgery?" I didn't understand the question at first but he clarified, "Do I call it gastric bypass, lap-bad, weight loss surgery, bariatric surgery, obesity surgery, fat-loss surgery, stomach stapling or what?"

Now, personally, I prefer to lump all of the procedures together under Weight Loss Surgery (WLS) because it is a general term that is widely recognize and it leads people via search engines to our site, LivingAfterWLS. Bariatric's is not a well-recognized word and obesity surgery just sounds belittling to me. Then the other terms are more procedure specific.

So I'm putting it out to the Neighbors - what term do you prefer and/or use to describe your surgery? What terms do you like and what terms do not set well with you? What other terms have you heard that I didn't mention here?.......

If you are only now considering surgery for weight loss here are some helpful videos that explain the different procedures and expected results:


Getting Read for Weight-loss Sugery: The Process



The Hidden Costs of Obesity



The Pros & Cons of Gastric Banding Surgery



Talking to Your Primary Care Physician about WLS

1 comment:

Kim S. said...

I use "Weight Loss Surgery", only because "Gastric Bypass Surgery" doesn't flow off of the tongue as easy AND it keeps people from twisting their eyebrows together.

Kim