LAWLS Bookstore

Wednesday, July 09, 2008

Sugar Tolerance: Does it Change

Over at the LivingAfterWLS Neighborhood we had a great question from our Neighbor Paula. She wants to know if our tolerance for sugar can change with the 5 Day Pouch Test. Take a look:

Question from Paula:
"Before the 5DPT, I could eat almost anything and not have a problem. (Which is where part of my problem came in and why I did the 5dpt.) The other night I ate a graham cracker with some peanut butter . . . . . and DUMP AWAY. Boy, was I sick. Is it common for your body to go back to not tolerating any sugar?"

My Answer:
As for the dumping!! Glad you experienced that -- and I don't mean that unkindly. It is just another testiment that once we clean-up our diet our bodies are eager to tell us when we feed it something it doesn't need or want. I receive lots of letters from people who say, "I don't get THE DUMPING anymore" and when we drill down we discover they are feeding their body a steady stream of white carbs which puts the blood sugar in a low-grade dump so it is not noticed. What is noticed is fatigue, cravings and weight gain. So when a person goes from a constant state of low-grade dump through the 5 Day Pouch Test they get out of the processed carb cycle. Like you, if they return to a formerly "safe" food their body does a big booty kick with a serious dump.

So the short answer - Yes it is possible to build a tolerance for sugar, BUT, it is also possible to return to a state of sugar intolerance.

Read the full discussion and learn more about sugar tolerance and intolerance.

No comments: