LAWLS Bookstore

Saturday, September 13, 2008

9 Years Post Weight Loss Surgery

Hello Neighbors!

Today marks nine years since I was gut-whacked; uh, I mean had laporoscopic gastric bypass surgery in San Diego, California. Nine years. You know, some times I do not remember what it was like to be morbidly obese. Then again, most of the time I never forget what being overweight was like.

A couple of days ago I bought a new pair of denium jeans: size 8. I was pretty disgusted with myself since at my lowest weight I could wiggle into a size 4 and at my best and most consistent weight I was quite comfy in a size 6. "How could you let yourself go like this?" I asked myself. Do we ever get over being our own worst critic?

Size 8 isn't so bad. In fact, on September 13, 1999 if you told me in nine years you will be a healthy and fit size 8 I would have thought I won the lottery. Size 8 wasn't imaginable: I was wearing a size 26-28 the day I arrived.

I'm still learning to work my tool and still have struggles. I dumped a few weeks ago after eating onion rings: 3 of them. I know greasy food makes me dump. I ate them anyway. On Wednesday I ate my breakfast too quickly and did not chew-chew-chew. You guessed it: I gave it up minutes later.

But for every struggle there are successes. I can run and play with my new puppy and not get winded. I can walk three miles on the treadmill in under 40 minutes, and still have energy to clean the house or work in the gardens. I can walk past the bakery counter without even noticing my former mistress: the glazed doughnut. More often than not I need to remember to eat rather than remember not to eat. I feel good. I feel healthy: both mentally and physically.

Sure, I would love to be back in my size 6 clothes and trust me I have a small boutique full of size sixes. But, maybe size 8 isn't so bad afterall.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am so happy for you. I can't say that I've had that much luck with my surgery. I'm out about 1 1/2 years now and I had lost 115 lbs., but am gaining weight again. The worst part is I still had another 130 lbs. to go. Through testing they discovered that the bottom of my pouch is open and that is why I'm hungry and can eat so much. Everything is just going right through. They are looking into some new kind of non-surgerical help for me. I really hope it happens soon. I'd love to be able to say I was a size 8. So congrats to you! Terrie from NY

jay38 said...

I am so happy for you. I had surgery 2-29-2008 have lost approx 96 lbs and hope to keep going went from a size 22 to a size 9 but lately this week have been feely fat my family says I have issues because the first thing I do once taking a shower in the morning is squeeze my stomach and wish it wasn't there. I started out at 263 lbs and now weigh 162. My goal is 145 my family says I have done enough and should not lose anymore I don't feel that way. Can someone please tell me am I obsessed with this or what? I do feel better and look like a totally different person but I carry a fat picture of me so I always know I don't want to be in that body again.

jay38 said...

Sorry to hear that and good luck with all. Stay positive and go back on track. I have a group of surgery buddies and we all keep in touch @ jay3859@yahoo.com

Anonymous said...

I was 8 years post op on Oct 5th. My weight loss has been OK. I started out at 235, got down to about 160. I have traveled anywhere from 188 to 150. I am currently off of carbohydrates (less than 20 a day) for 2 weeks then will start to add fruit. I do notice though, I am more full with a little bit higher fat and more protein than trying to eat low fat low cal. 188 is my highest recently (Except for having my boy 2 years post op) and now I'm 182. Looking forward to seeing 150 again and staying there. I'm glad I have found sites that focus on long term WLSers like us!!!!