LAWLS Bookstore

Monday, February 09, 2009

Proper Walking Form

Hi Neighbors!

A few posts ago I wrote about good reasons for starting a walking program. I think that universally walking is the favorite exercise or sport of most weight loss surgery patients. I know I love a good walk just about as much as anyone. So, from the previously cited "Walk it Off" publication from Reader's Digest I am sharing tips for proper walking form. To keep me focused I photocopied this page and have it on the data-deck of my treadmill.

"Walk Tall" Page 15.

Walking feels easier and is less likely to lead to injury when you use good form. follow these tips.

-- Keep your shoulders relaxed, down, and slightly back.
-- Stand up straight, not hunched forward.
-- Stride length should feel natural, not strained. Longer isn't better.
-- Keep your elbows bent at about 90-degree angles. Pump them forward and back; they shouldn't cross in front of your body.
-- Land first on your heel, then roll forward across the ball of your foot and push off with your toes.

For more helpful information on walking and weight loss surgery visit the LivingAfterWLS Library.

Healthier Walking

Kim's First 5K after WLS

Weight Loss Through Walking

Start a Walking Program

No comments: