LAWLS Bookstore

Thursday, January 05, 2012

Protein Shakes: Nutrients to Digest & Absorb

As far as I am personally concerned, the only reason for me to ever drink a protein shake meal replacement is so that I can deliver to my body easily digested food that can be efficiently broken down into nutrients to be absorbed out of the digestive tract and into the body. Convenience and economics are secondary considerations for me because I understand the importance of providing high quality protein, vitamins and minerals to my body. My preferred method of doing this is eating solid food. But if I am unable to provide addequate nutrition with solid food it is essential I supplement with a high-quality, preferably medical grade, protein beverage. Most dieticians working with bariatric patients recommend protein supplements made with whey protein isolate.

When I include a protein beverage in my diet it is key to observe the liquid restrictions by drinking no other liquids 30 minutes before or after drinking the protein shake. In addition, I try to take no longer than 15 minutes to consume the shake. This is to ensure that beginning with ingestion when food mixes with saliva in the mouth that I give my body every opportunity to absorb the nutrients in the shake. If I chase a shake with a drink of water without allowing time for digestion and absorption I am missing the opportunity to make use of the nutrients.

Safely Slim Protein Shakes






For me a high protein low carbohydrate sugar-free protein shake is the best. I look for ready-to-drink shakes or powder that contains 15 to 20 grams protein per serving using whey protein isolate. A single serving should not exceed 200 calories. Using a blender I like to mix 3/4 cup room temperature coffee with 1 scoop vanilla protein powder, 2 tablespoons plain non-fat yogurt and 4-5 ice cubes, blending until smooth. This takes me about 30 minutes to drink and keeps me full for several hours.

Please join us in the Neighborhood and post your favorite protein drink recipe in the Community Kitchen.

No comments: