LAWLS Bookstore

Thursday, September 05, 2013

5DPT Bulletin: Hunger is not an emergency

Published today: 5 Day Pouch Test Bulletin
Is your post-WLS hunger a crisis? 
View bulletin in our archives: 5DPT September Bulletin
 
Opening Article:
 
"Greetings - Autumn Leaf
Thanks for joining me for the September 5 Day Pouch Test Bulletin, our first of the fall season. For me, now seems like the right time to review my understanding of body hunger and remind myself of the difference between hunger and appetite. In hearing from you in the weight loss surgery communities I know that many of us struggle time and again against hunger -- or what we think is hunger.  One of the best breakthroughs in understanding my food relationship came in 2008 when I read the words, "Hunger is not an emergency." My goodness! Who knew? Read my blog post account of that enlightening moment:
"Just this week I had a breakthrough moment when I read that naturally slender people do not treat hunger as an emergency. "Most of us who struggle with extra pounds tend to view hunger as a condition that needs to be cured - and fast," writes Judith S. Beck, PhD, author of the Beck Diet Solution. "If you fear hunger, you might routinely overeat and avoid it," she says adding, "Thin people tolerate hunger because they know hunger pangs always come and go, buying them some time."
Hunger defined: the painful sensation caused by a lack of food that initiates food-seeking behavior.
Hunger is not an emergency. Interesting, don't you think? Since publishing the 5DPT I've received tremendous feedback. Some people are amazed to not feel hungry, even on those difficult first two days. Others report "climbing the walls" hunger. I believe each of us responds differently to the 5DPT and there are certainly extremes between lack of hunger and ravenous hunger."

link to continue reading 

Featured Articles:
Understanding Hunger
Hunger: Don't think about the food
Understanding weight regain
Recipe: Easy Beef Stroganoff




No comments: