Take the first step to making healthier food choices by taking part in the American Heart Association's National Eating Healthy Day on Wednesday, Nov. 5, 2014. On this day, Americans are encouraged to commit to healthier eating.In browsing the American Heart Association's online Recipe Collection I found it interesting that many of their meals are family-affordable and can be prepared quickly using basic cooking skills. So often we hear eating healthy is expensive and time consuming. But it doesn't have to be. The recipes from AHA do not require crazy ingredients or multiple steps for preparation, but they are delicious and family friendly. This recipe caught my eye, I'm a big fan of chicken or turkey chili. Take a look at this recipe - I'm putting it on my menu tonight! For more recipes from AHA Link Here
Quick Chicken Chili
This Simple Cooking with Heart recipe is a yummy twist on traditional chili, switching in chicken for ground beef. It's easy to make in a hurry! Recipe shared by the American Heart Association.
For more great heart healthy recipes from AHA Link Here
non-stick cooking spray
1 lb. boneless, skinless chicken breasts or tenderloins
1 lb. ground white meat chicken or turkey
1 medium onion
1 medium bell pepper (any color)
3 clove garlic
1 tsp. jarred, minced garlic
2 cup fat-free, low-sodium chicken broth
1 16- oz. canned, fat-free, low-sodium chicken broth
2 15.5- oz. canned, no-salt-added, or, low-sodium beans (mix or match pinto, red, kidney or navy)
1/2 tsp. pepper
1 tsp. cumin
1/2 tsp. chili powder (optional)
1 medium chopped jalapeño (optional if you like spicy chili)
fresh cilantro (optional)
1/2 cup low-fat, (or), fat-free sour cream (optional)
1. Remove visible fat from chicken, cut into bite-sized pieces.
2. Spray large pot with cooking spray. Add chicken, onion, garlic, chili powder (optional) or jalapeno (optional) cooking over medium-heat until chicken is no longer pink (about 7 minutes)
3. Lightly mash the drained, rinsed beans with a fork.
4. Add all remaining ingredients to chicken mixture and simmer on high for 10 minutes.
5. Spoon chili into bowl and enjoy!