LAWLS Bookstore

Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Look Mom - No Training Wheels!!

Hello Neighbors!

So it's been about 100 years since I last rode a bike. I have to be honest with you -- I never got over the fear of being judged after some mean kids hollered at me one day "Look at the fat pig on the bicycle." Yeah, sticks and stones break bones but words can wound for life. I'm sure many of you endured similar experiences and I'm so sad about that.

So last week I told my husband that I've seriously been thinking about getting a bicycle. While we live way out of town and dirt roads are the rule the LivingAfterWLS office is in the "metropolitan" heart of our tiny community. And There is a wonderful biking/walking trail between the office and the grocery store where I visit the salad bar nearly every day. "How fantastic it would be," I told him, "If I had a bicycle and could ride to the market for my salad?" Jim is not one to spend time on Pro's and Con's and the very next day he surprised my this darling baby blue Huffy with whitewall tires! I am crazy in love! It is simple and sturdy and nothing so complicated as gears and hand brakes. All that's missing now is a pretty basket for going to the market. I do have a helmet, but didn't wear it for this posed picture - so don't worry.

It has been such a joy, a childlike joy, to ride a bike again. I am so happy that I finally screwed up enough courage to take back this pleasure. I'm sad that cruel words from so long ago kept me from doing something so carefree and healthy and fun.

According to my Sports & Recreation Chart I can burn 200 calories in just 30 minutes of cycling! And that's not counting the valleys & hills! I really cannot think of a better statement of "LIVING" than being able to take a break in the workday for a little fitness and fresh air. I bet I have inspiring words to share after a mid-day ride!

For some great bicycle safety tips visit BicycleSafe.com

1 comment:

Mary said...

I recently came across your blog and have been reading along. I thought I would leave my first comment. I don't know what to say except that I have enjoyed reading. Nice blog. I will keep visiting this blog very often.