LAWLS Bookstore

Monday, February 21, 2005

Kashi Chewy Granola Bars

Have you tried the new bariatric friendly Kashi Chewy Granola Bars?

I grabbed a box of 18 at Sam’s Club for around $9 (roughly $0.50/bar). The box included three varieties: Honey Almond Flax, Trail Mix and Peanut Peanut Butter. Each provides about 140 calories with a whopping 5 grams protein and scant 6 grams of sugar – a WLS patient’s worst enemy. I’ve found I can tolerate about 12g of sugar without dumping, so these seem safe enough for me. Be sure to know your sugar tolerance. Another bonus, 4 grams of fiber per serving! Don’t all of us WLS people need a little more fiber to keep things moving?

While they don’t taste like the traditional super-sweet granola bars they do pack a wholesome and satisfying crunch. Don’t you get tired of soft foods all the time? Me too! I think I’ll stash some in my car’s glove compartment, handbag and desk at work for those times when I need a safe snack. (I know, snacking is against the four rules, but damnit! Sometimes I simply need a bite to eat between meals. You probably do too.)

Give them a try and let me know how you like them. Email me!

No comments: