LAWLS Bookstore

Monday, August 15, 2011

Scared Straight About Life After Weight Loss Surgery?

In last week's LivingAfterWLS weekly digest we addressedtopics that cause trouble for us after weight loss surgery. Working on the "front lines" of weight loss surgery I speak with many many fellow patients who are several years into their weight loss surgery experience. Over time I've noted patterns and trends that seem common to us. This  newsletter reveals some of the pitfalls that we encounter along the route. I truly believe the more we learn from one another the better we can improve our weight management outcome. Take a look at a few of these below or visit the newsletter archive to see this edition in its entirety:


Scared Straight About Life After Weight Loss Surgery?


The fact is, we have no better reference resource available than each other.

So many of us go into surgery making hand-on-the-Bible type promises to not become "one of those people who gain the weight back." Did you make that promise to yourself or to others? The best way I know to keep this promise is to learn from others and to keep building on personal experience and knowledge. So when I share with you what I've learned it is in the spirit of fellowship knowing we are all in this together. You can count on me to be direct and honest about my own experience and what I have learned from you. Here are a few nuggets of knowledge that are golden and that I learned in the WLS-afterlife, not from my bariatric center:

-Eating a meal of lean protein without liquids causes discomfort that is supposed to signal fullness and satiation, but more often causes us to break the liquid restrictions or turn to slider foods. This eventually leads to weight gain.

Online Articles: 
Reading:  
Pages 80-83: Liquid Restrictions & Slider Food

-Regardless of surgical procedure the Four Rules work to help us lose weight and maintain a healthy weight.
The Four Rules  do not expire and most patients who maintain a healthy weight long-term follow the rules closely.
Online Articles:


-The classic WLS laugh-line "I can eat anything I want, just less of it" is simply bogus. It implies we can go back to eating smaller portions of the things we ate before surgery without consequence. Let me assure you, patients who return to a diet of things that led to their obesity before surgery will certainly cease to lose weight and most likely regain weight. This return to old dietary habits usually starts with grazing on pretzels (presumably diet friendly food) or soft crackers because they set better in the pouch and go down more easily than lean protein.
 Online Article:

This digest includes several articles and links that are meant to inform and educate all of us in the LivingAfterWLS community. I hope you will find them helpful in your journey. As we forge ahead toward better health I believe we each discover strong, capable, beautiful beings inside. May each new day be one of discovery, growth and empowerment.

Read the full newsletter online: LivingAfterWLS Weekly Digest Scared Straight

No comments: