LAWLS Bookstore

Sunday, January 01, 2006

The Skinny Jeans and HAPPY NEW YEAR!

Posted by Julie Hullinger
LivingAfterWLS Public Relations

The day has come! It's finally here! I reached to the top shelf of my closet, pulled down the jeans I've been saving since college - - slowly put my legs in, stood up, pulled them up and buttoned them with room to spare. You'd think this would be the most glorious day of the year - a perfect way to start 2006. But to my surprise several thoughts ran through my mind.

First thought: These jeans are so high-waisted they practically reach my bra!
Second thought: These jeans are forest green and have a button fly. hmmmm.
Third thought: These jeans are a non-flattering tapered leg. Nasty.
Final thought: Why on earth - did I ever keep these UGLY jeans?

As I have reached the holy grail that we all call the "skinny jeans" I realized that I never need to keep "skinny jeans" again. We should celebrate our milestones with something new and trendy. I was so set on clinging to the sacred skinny jeans that I didn't realize moving beyond would be a far more positive approach and better yet - within my grasp.

A metaphor for life I tell you! Never look back. Don't cling to things or mindsets that confine us to a certain time or identity. Don't keep reminders of things that "used to be"... Move on. Move on my friends, move on!! And for goodness sake, put those jeans in the donation box. :)

2 comments:

Kim S. said...

I had the same thing happen to me! Not today, but when I got to my healthy weight last summer. I went to the bottom of my dresser drawer and pulled out my black, pinstriped jeans, with tapered leg and a waist that hit WAY above my belly button. They went on and it was obvious that my figure shape had changed dramatically from my early twenties to my late thirties. Not flattering one bit, they quickly saw the Salvation Army bag. Yes, celebrate with new jeans!
Happy New Year!
Kim Stover

Anonymous said...

YES ..I DON'T HAVE A PAIR OF OLD JEANS..BUT I CAN IMAGINE YOUR INITIAL JOY OF FIRST PUTTING THEM ON...I MYSELF MIGHT KEEP THEM IF I HAD A PAIR..JUST FOR SENTIMENTAL REASONS...THEY MUST HAVE MEANT SOMETHING FOR YOU TO KEEP THEM IN THE FIRST PLACE...HOPE IT'S NOT TO LATE FOR THAT...I'M STILL PRE-OP AND WAITING TO SHARE ALL THIS JOY THAT YOU LADIES ARE HAVING...KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK...HOPE TO JOIN YOU SOON....''whatsnewaboutme" GALE