Do you remember the first few weeks out of surgery when all you could eat was Jell-O or protein shakes or broth or whatever your center recommended that was bland? During the post-op healing phase most of us didn’t feel well enough to do anything and so it was easy to focus on the foods we loved but were now divorced from.
How did you distract your thoughts from food? Here are a few suggestions, why not add a few of your own strategies and let’s help our “Newbies” get past this stage!
- Read fashion magazines and daydream about your new body in the season’s latest fashions.
- Practice accepting compliments graciously so you are ready when the cheers start coming your way.
- Read a book about nutrition so you are well informed and ready to take care of your new body.
- Visit gyms in your area, meet trainers and consider how you are going to exercise the minute you get released.
- Read the LivingAfterWLS websites for information & inspiration. (Ok, so I had to plug my own site – SMILING!)
- Network with other WLS people and share your common experience.
- Begin a journal of your weight loss experience. Be sure to include statistics like weight, BMI and measurements.
- Begin your walking program – most patients are instructed to start walking the day after surgery.
- Enjoy yourself! This bland phase of eating is the start of your brand new life.
Add your suggestions by clicking the comments link! Thanks, Kaye.